Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Mike Mignola's Screw-On Head and Other Curious Objects

 Cover Regular Edition

 Cover Variant Edition

 Title Page

 Spread Pages 2-3

Spread Pages 4-5

This book design, was like visiting an old friend. I previously had designed Mike Mignola's Hellboy Artist's Edition, and Mike wanted this to look like a continuation or a companion piece. That was nice to hear. I actually like it when the creators take an interest in the design of the book. Well, I should clarify, when I think those artists have some awareness or sense of GOOD design, then I welcome their input. Sorry guys, but because you illustrate comic books, that doesn't automatically make you a designer. After coming clean and revealing my true feelings, I now feel better! Obviously Mike, is a very good designer. All you have to do is look at how he lays out a page, his spotting of blacks, and his story telling ability, and those things become very clear. 

This book was all about textures, layering, aging and creepiness. With the Hellboy Artist's Edition, I had picked out panels and images from the comic stories to use as design elements. With this book, Mike provided me with a folder full of additional illustrations that weren't part of the stories. These worked out great, because they were created as stand alone pieces.

When I look at the design pages, I wish I would have been able to add one more thing. I think the only thing missing would be, the ability to crack open the book and be hit right in the nose with the smell of mold and mildew. That would take the reading of this book to whole other level.


1 comment:

  1. Great design as usual, Randy. I LOVED Hellboy in Hell AE and happy that this book will have the same visual look and feel.

    Have one minor question: what is Dark Horse Presents #116 cover? As I know, it isn't drawn by Mignola. Is it a misprint?

    ReplyDelete